HMRC can investigate the tax affairs of any business or individual that completes or fails to complete a Tax Return. Many such investigations are random, requiring no justification and no-one is immune. HMRC's policy director stated that they intend to claw back £3.5 billion from tax payers during the period 2005 to 2008! (source: see 1 below).
By joining the scheme the scheme member has cover for the first £100,000 of professional fees; provided that they have been honest and filed their tax returns on time.
In addition to the main fee cover, scheme members are also given unlimited access to Business Support Help lines, giving telephone support at local call rates on the following areas, which are critical to many small businesses :-
- Disciplining an Employee/Dismissal /Gross misconduct
- Health & Safety, such as :
- Reporting an Accident/Hazardous Substances
- Commercial Legal Disputes, such as :
- Landlord and Tenancy/Company Law/Copyright and Patent